Turns out sweet potatoes are the perfect vehicle for stuffing. Maybe you knew that…maybe you didn’t, but I’m here to tell you that it’s a fact! I’ve seen lots of recipes and heard some of the hubbub, but haven’t actually tried the phenomenon myself. Until now. I’m pretty sure you could stuff a sweet potato with just about anything from your favorite protein, to a bunch of different veggies, to a sweet dessert concoction.
What I did was use what I had on hand…some turkey burger, peppers, onions, salsa and avocado. It was quick, easy and delicious.
– Prick your sweet potato with a fork or knife all over and place it in the micro for 5-10 minutes, depending on the size.
– Saute the turkey burger with chopped onions, peppers, and whatever else you dig in there.
– Drain the meat and season it to taste. I like garlic salt, oregano, cumin and lots of black pepper.
– Cut your cooked sweet potato in 1/2 lengthwise and kind of squish the lower sides a little so it kind of opens up and out.
– Spoon a healthy amount of the turkey burger in the middle.
– Top with fresh salsa and avocado and dig in!
* If you’re not worried about making it Paleo, add some grated cheese, sour cream, and black beans!