I was recently asked if I wanted to partake (be an “ambassador” for the product I receive) in a Verizon project that is known as #VZWBuzz on Twitter. The way the project works is they send out gadgets to different folks to try out and talk about. I said ‘yes’ and not long after I received the Samsung Galaxy S4 smart phone.
This is in no way a sales pitch, nor is it me pushing anything. It is simply me chatting about how this product works and how I find it useful and fun to play with…or not.
I’ve been an iPhone user for quite a long time and have loved them. As cell phones (smart phones) have continued to improve and offer more and more features, it’s been a real trip for someone like me who is still somewhat attached to my big box PC. Nowadays it seems you can do everything on your smart phone that we used to NEED an actual computer for.
My cell phone has been used for many things, primarily my business phone, a camera (I don’t use my Canon Rebel hardly at all any more, that’s been convenient), a video camera, email, social media, texting, and hopping online occasionally to look stuff up.
Lately, as in since Sammy was born, I take 600 to 1,000 photos and videos a month. Chalk it up to being a proud Papa I suppose! I’ve been super happy with the quality of the iPhone but this Samsung Galaxy has been awesome for several reasons in regards to photos…the screen is way bigger, there are great photo options right on the screen when taking pics, and you can take rapid fire photos (which is great when trying to capture the many expressions of a baby).
Other features I have enjoyed are:
– The charger cord is longer, this may sound like a dumb thing to like, but man, if your nightstand is a bit too far away from the plug the iPhone lays on the floor.
– The speed of the phone and layout is awesome. Navigating the Samsung has been really easy…I don’t read directions so that’s kind of important.
– The weather for my city is on the home screen, I absolutely love that.
– There is an app called “Story Album” which I have not messed with yet but from what I have seen thus far it’s a great way to create albums…better than what I can do on my iPhone.
– I was super surprised that the Samsung had such a bigger screen but still weighed less than the iPhone, pretty cool.
– Unlike the iPhone, the Samsung has a removable battery and memory card which the iPhone doesn’t have. To remove the iPhone battery you either have to break the phone with a hammer or take it to a pro to do it.
All in all I have to say this phone is one I would possibly leave iPhone for. A phone is a phone but I have been super stoked with the camera and the other things mentioned above…and I haven’t even fully explored the phone yet. The camera alone is worth it though. I take so many pics for our different blogs and the versatility has been great. The ability to capture food and wine photos, events, scenery and sunsets, and a 9 month old is cool but even better when one gadget gives you all the options that this Samsung has.
So there you have it…we’ll see if I ditch the iPhone…oh the suspense!
Here’s some pics I took with the Samsung Galaxy S4:
Interesting perspective! My husband switched from the iPhone 5 to the S4 and I don’t think he is ever going back. Thanks for the info!
Matt aka Hoot says
Cheers Sarah! I have the iPhone 4S and am seriously thinking about the shift. Have a great weekend.
TerriAnn @ Cookies & Clogs says
Your photos look great! Photo-taking definitely gets knocked up a notch when a child comes into your life. The S4 also made me doubt my iPhone so I’m curious as what you’ll be using a month or two from now…
Matt aka Hoot says
TerriAnn, thank you and yes, I’m curious too. LOL. I have a sneaking suspicion I will be switching, just not sure when exactly.
Monica Vila says
great post Matt, I ditched the iPhone5 for the S4 – thankfully – the OS these days on both make it relatively seamless to transition contacts and memories and the Samsung camera cannot be beat 🙂
Hoot (or Matt) says
Monica, I haven’t really seen any issues yet to switching if that’s what I ultimately decide to do. I’m honestly digging the phone though. As I was trying to get across in my post, I do a lot of ‘phone photography” and I really dig this phone for that. Thanks again, much appreciated!! 🙂