Check this cool news out…a whole WEEK of beer?!?!?
Craft Beer’s Best and Brightest to Gather (and Party) at SLO Beer Week
The first annual SLO Beer Week is shaping up to be California’s premier craft beer event – a true star-studded celebration and exploration of the best and most innovative craft beer in America set among one of the world’s most idyllic coastal destinations.
Sept. 9, 2016 (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) – The inaugural SLO Beer Week (SLObeerweek.com) — brought to you by Visit San Luis Obispo and ShareSLO — is already shaping up to be one of California’s premier craft beer events.
Taking place at several venues throughout San Luis Obispo, California, October 16-22, tickets for the week-long celebration & exploration of the best craft beer in America are going fast, and, as of today, still available at SLObeerweek.com.
The Central Coast, long a hotbed of craft beer creativity and innovation, will now play host to an annual celebration of the best brews and brewers from San Luis Obispo and throughout the entire beer-making nation.
SLO Beer Week will feature a host of special events that appeal to causal fans and full-on beer geeks alike, including dinners, the Central Coast premiere of Craft: The California Beer Documentary, seminars, and tastings that feature some of the most creative and industry-leading brewers in America today.
The San Luis Obispo-based breweries include:
- Central Coast Brewing – Gold Medal Winner for their Pale Ale at both the 2015 Great American Beer Festival and 2016 World Beer Cup
- Libertine Brewing Co. – Award-winning crafter of sour and wild ales and an industry-leading innovator in the art of barrel-age brewing
- Tap-It Brewing – 2012 Gold Medal winner at the Great American Beer Festival for their IPA
- Barrel House Brewing – Award-winning brewery that was recently profiled in The New York Times
- SLO Brew – This vanguard brew pub has been brewing in SLO for nearly 20 years. It’s also home to San Luis Obispo’s most storied music venue, where stars like Neil Young often drop in to jam.
- Dunbar Brewing – For more than 18 years Brewer Chris Chambers’ consistently mind-blowing English, Scottish and Irish-style beers have made Dunbar the cool-kid darling of the craft beer industry.
- Toro Creek – This up-and-comer is already widely known in the craft beer world for its unmatched dedication to hops, using only the choicest buds it grows on the founder’s local farm.
In addition to this tasty lineup of SLO breweries, other principal participants include:
- Stone Brewing
- Dr. Bill Sysak – The lively author and proverbial dean of beer-geekdom will host the Cicerone vs. Somm Dinner (see below).
- Lagunitas Brewing Company
- Matt Rutkowski, Vice President of Spiegelau
- Jeff Smith – The director will be hosting the Central Coast premiere of his award-winning film, Craft: The California Beer Documentary (see below), at SLO’s historic Fremont Theatre.
- Jamil Zainasheff, Founder of Heretic Brewing
- Pizza Port
- Modern Times Brewery
- Firestone Walker
- Figueroa Mountain Brewing Co.
- Hangar 24 Brewery
- And many more…
“SLO Beer Week provides a showcase for beer lovers the world over to enjoy and experience not just the award-winning regional brewers in and around SLO, but also the best craft brewers from around the country,” says Holly Holiday, Event Producer. “Attendees will be able to meet and hang with these innovative brewers, throw back the best beer being made today—all the while indulging in SLO’s culinary wonders and soaking in its coastal sea air and warm sunshine.”
Throughout the week SLO Beer Week will play host to parties, dinners, seminars and tasting events spread throughout San Luis Obispo. The marquee events include:
CollaBEERation (Sunday, Oct. 16)
Beer Fest kicks off with a Sunday Funday blowout party highlighting one of the coolest things about the beer industry: Brewer collaborations. In addition to showcasing some of America’s best beer collaborations, this fete will feature a smorgasbord of food, as well a live music. Tap It and Central Coast Brewing will be brewing a collaboration beer.
Beer Week Movie Night (Monday, Oct. 17)
Beer Week is proud to host the regional premiere of Craft: The California Beer Documentary at the historic Fremont Theatre in Downtown SLO. And yes, you’ll be able wash down your popcorn with awesome craft beer. Panel will include Jamil Zainasheff of Heretic and Ryan Aikens of Tap It.
Beer Geek (Wednesday, Oct. 19)
Raise your glass—and your brew IQ—at this fun and educational seminar about all things beer, from the styles and methods, to the latest trends. After this sudsy immersion session, you’ll officially be a true Beer Geek. Guests may even register to take the Certified Cicerone Exam. Seating is limited and early registration is recommended.
Spiegelau Beer Glass Class & Tasting (Wednesday, Oct 19)
Join Spiegelau for an educational and entertaining seminar that will change your beer drinking forever! In a unique and fascinating beer glass tasting, Matt Rutkowski, VP of Spiegelau, will demonstrate firsthand how a beer’s color, clarity, aroma, temperature and effervescence are all dramatically enhanced with a Spiegelau glass.
SOMM vs. Cicerone Dinner (Friday, Oct. 21)
Set in the historic Mission San Luis Obispo, one Master Sommelier and one Certified Cicerone will go head to head, and hand-select both wine and beer pairings for a four-course gourmet feast. This fun and educational event will prove, once and for all, that quality beer and wine do go well together. The much anticipated dinner will be the first feast ever to be held in the historic Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa.
The Best Of The Fest (Saturday, Oct. 22)
This Grand Tasting will feature a focus on rare and vintage beers from SLO/Central Coast breweries as well as the top breweries in the country , additional seminars, awards and of course delicious fare and funky local music.
Stay & Play
Visitors receive a 20 percent discount on SLO Beer Week tickets if they book a with San Luis Obispo hotel during the event. For more information please visit SLObeerweek.com/Lodging.
If you’re a member of the media and would like more information, or wish to attend SLO Beer Week, please email Mike@ParkerSanpei.com.
ABOUT SLO BEER WEEK
SLO Beer Week attracts brew masters, Cicerones, beer enthusiasts, media, trade, foodies and tastemakers from across the globe to enjoy and study the world of hops through inspired panels and beer geek encounters and discoveries. When the discussion and tastings end, there’s plenty of time for exploring the beauty of the region, farm-to-table cuisine, music and art scene, the coastline and more. The first annual event will be held throughout the bucolic coastal town of San Luis Obispo, CA, October 16-22, 2016. For more information or tickets, please visit: SLObeerweek.com. Additional information about San Luis Obispo can be seen at VisitSLO.com.