I had a recent conversation with a friend about how it seems that we are always working toward the next rung on the ladder instead of enjoying and appreciating the rung we’re on. I’d be interested in seeing some percentages on people that live in the United States that are truly happy. And by truly happy I mean they are content (at peace, happy, satisfied, enjoy their time) with their lives. I wonder if that poor farmer in any rural part of any given second or third world country is more content than we are.
We live in a nation, in a time, where we live in excess and entitlement. I don’t see this behavior as being sustainable because of what it does to our society. The important things in life tend to start taking a back seat to how much money is in the account, the iPad you have to have, and the emblem on the hood of your car.
The good news is, I think each one of us can do something to make a change to reconnect with the simpler things in life. Below is a list of 5 things that I do from time to time to slow down and reconnect with the journey.
- Look people in their eye when speaking and really connect with them.
- Make somebody smile; it’s amazing how good it makes you feel.
- Leave the gadgets behind, find a great view; sit, enjoy, breathe, get bored.
- Spend time writing your story; that always helps me evaluate and dream.
- Find someone that you really enjoy being around and go for a long walk.