What’s the big damn deal about the “Royal Wedding”? I mean, on the surface I understand…heir to the throne and all that crap…but who really cares and why? Do you have a life? Are you a groupie that lives vicariously through famous people? I’m partially being sarcastic…but partially not. There’s this part of me that wonders why in the heck people get so lost in this kind of thing.
My wife and I had a small wedding, maybe 25 people or so on the beach in Pismo Beach, CA.; there was no paparazzi, no helicopters, no police escort…just us, 25 people, and bare feet. We kept our wedding purposely small, a lot of people were not invited…but they didn’t sleep outside the place of the wedding for the three days leading up to it. Do they not love us? How rude!
This person is getting married, that person is getting divorced, that couple is having a baby…AND? That garbage doesn’t pay my bills or entertain me…it just doesn’t. All that time we spend focused on other people’s affairs, we could be making ourselves better people, we could be changing the world!
I see this behavior every day, online and off line. Back when Sheen was the big news, I would post find an article on him and post it to Twitter and Facebook…guess what, it would get like 100 clicks; but when I post an article about the economy, soldiers being killed, or something educational it gets somewhere between 0 and 30 clicks…pitiful.
We’d rather slobber all over ourselves when there is a Royal Wedding, but when it comes to making the world around us a better place we freeze. Again, I understand this on the surface, but beyond that I’m almost sickened by it.
Instead of licking the television screen on Friday, the Royal Wedding Day, here is a list of things that can be done that are more productive:
1) Read a book
2) Write a book
3) Help at the homeless shelter
4) Play with your kids
5) Surprise your spouse with lunch or dinner
6) Wash your car (it’s filthy)
7) Balance your checking account
8) Paint your living room
9) Write 10 hand written letters to people you care about
10) Organize your home office
11) Wash your windows (I think the rain is done, at least where I live)
12) Downsize (go through all your crap and give some of it away)
13) Go for a walk or a run (or go to the gym)
15) Start that project you’ve been too lazy to start
16) Finish that project you’ve been too lazy to finish
17) Jump rope
18) Clean your computer keyboard, it’s freakin’ disgusting!
19) Get a group of your friends together & go spend money in YOUR community, helping local business is ALWAYS good!
20) Find a relaxing area outside, sit down and enjoy a glass of wine or a cigar
I could get into things like clipping your toenails, but you get the idea. The most famous people in your life should be your spouse or partner, your kids, your family and friends…and YOU; so focus on that. Or, let the media win out again and take time from your life doing something that is supremely meaningless! Alas, life is choices!
- A Twitter ban at the royal wedding? Tripe (news.cnet.com)