And here we are, another politician/ potential politician, is in the midst of a sexual scandal. Herman Cain, who is running for Republican nominee for President has been in the news the last few days for allegedly sexually harassing two women back in the 1990’s.
So a few quick points/ observations/ thoughts:
1) From one point of view I say this…who hasn’t flirted with someone in a sexual nature at some point in their life whether in a relationship or not? It would be interesting to have real, honest statistics about this because I think the numbers would astound us. The second part of this question would be; how often is accepted flirtation later spun into sexual harassment? These would be more interesting statistics but impossible to find…because nobody would be honest.
2) Why can’t everyone, but politicians more importantly, keep their pants zipped and their mouths shut? I believe a common trait in the new era of politicians is absolute arrogance…a feeling above being above the law…way above the law. And I say politicians more importantly, because they are followed, investigated, and questioned relentlessly…these things come out…learn to zip it folks, your dirty little secrets will come out if you have them.
3) Last thought was, why do we (as in the media, us, people in general) make this a big deal? Clinton did crazy stuff with Monica, yet people love him more now than before. How about JFK…his dirty deeds have been known yet so many view him with such respect? Is it a big deal? Should it be a big deal?
These are some random thoughts I had…questions that popped in my head. My overall opinion is that I wish people would just behave with a higher moral code than that. With Herman Cain though, I’m not all that worried because I don’t think the man can become our next President…and to be completely honest, it’s humorous to watch these guys turn their personal and working lives into train wrecks.
Our cycle is just out of control…somebody does something, the media pokes and prods it to death, and we the end consumer eat it up. Idiots won’t stop being idiots, the media won’t stop being the media…it is up to us, the end user to stop consuming the garbage if we expect any kind of change in the system.
- Herman Cain Sexual Harassment Story Not Planted By GOP Rivals, According To Rivals (huffingtonpost.com)
- Cain’s Accuser Ready To Tell Her Story (huffingtonpost.com)